Recently, I posted an unboxing of yarns from Three Bears Yarn. I have the chance to used it and now I will share to you how was it. My project for these gorgeous yarns is an amigurumi that is made by a very talented crochet designer from Thailand, Rabbiz Designs! you can found her works in Etsy if you want to make any of her designs, which I am really fascinated because they are all cute!
Aurora is a paid crochet pattern costing to USD $6.00. It’s an instant digital download in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf file) soon as you have purchased it. Kinda costly but it’s a good buy for the kind of design she has made. The details and form of the finished doll is all worth the price you will pay for it. At first, I hesitate to make because I don’t want to get disappointed at myself when I didn’t make it the way I want it or follow the pattern the way it should be (yes I have the tendency to alter a pattern when the instructions doesn’t work for me, silly me right?)
Let me walk you through my way to working with this design. Firstly, I used Three Bears Yarn Affection Series in 4ply all in 100% Cotton in Ginger, Baby Pink, Pink Flamingo and Cuddles and Cream. I also use some of the DK Yarns in White and Black. I used a 2.5mm hook for my doll which yields me a little over 5 inches.
The pattern begins with making the head down. It doesn’t have a foot but the doll will stand because of the body in the middle of the skirt. I think this is nice because mostly when we make amigurumi dolls, we want them standing in photos. I used TBY Cuddles and Cream for the body color and and Ginger for the scalp.
I will to you all that I have re-started so many times before I could finished the head. Yes I do! I was so frustrated to make mine with perfect edges when I change yarn color. I think I’m doing something wrong with it. The pattern show how it does look and I want to make the same exact one. This one looks pretty near to perfect but I still feel the need to make another one to have perfect one.
Next thing is the hair. I so love love the hair! I think it’s a clever way to make the hair like this. She actually called it a wig. It’s not only fun but it looks so much prettier! I love to curl it up and straighten it down if I like. And look how gorgeous the Ginger TBY yarn for her hair. So sweet! The hair fringe is also a clever add to the effect for the hair.
Next is putting the crown on! I used Indophil Cotton yarn in 3ply for the crown, it’s a local yarn we could buy in cakes here in the Philippines. What’s a Princess without a Crown right? It’s a 3 part pattern just for a crown, it might cost you time to make, like I think I feel. But when you finished, you will forget you did. After the crown, it’s time for the eyes, blush and mouth. I did this at the end after putting all parts together because I can’t decide on what eyes to use and if I like it with mouth or not. Silly me again strikes! (Why won’t you stick on the pattern???Haha!)
Now on to the body! I used Pink Flamingo for this. I love how the stitches of the TBY Yarns makes on this part of the Aurora amigurumi doll. Look how prominent the stitches made. I find it satisfying to see they are all uniform. When I use acrylic yarns for my dolls, I noticed that the strands get’s split-ty and frayed. I did mentioned above that I tried a lot of times to crochet and then start again because I am not satisfied with the outcome of the head. Basically, in acrylic, when you do it, you will notice quickly that the yarns strands are worn out and what you will need to do is cut it to have a fresh strands. In TBY Cotton yarn, it doesn’t happen for me. I made sure to take a note of it because, it is one yarn property we all need to look for when we want to have something made to last. I’m one of the living proof that these yarns are one of the best anyone could get and work with without worrying if their work will be put to nothing. It’s not just that, these yarns strands are surprisingly strong! I mean really strong. I always try yarns durability by pulling a part of them if it will break. I did it in TBY Cotton Yarns and yes, I failed to do so, that is to break it!
Here is Aurora’s skirt and skirt ornament next. I used TBY Baby Pink for the ornament. It is actually the part of pattern where I was suddenly lost. (Yes I can get lost too while reading!) It calls for crocheting up and down the base and then repeating the patterns again. Eventually, without restarting, I get what she mean and finished the ornament like it should be. Or at least, I made it as it should be, haha!
I also used DK Yarn in White for the skirt frills. It is perfect, because it gives the needed volume of the frills. I must also say, I love working on DK yarn. Thickness is just and proper for my fingers to feel. I am not sure about others, but for me it is important for me as a crocheter to have some connection with the yarn to be able to work in harmony with it. Haha! Am I creepy now?
Now, where were we, ah yes! Next are the hands and the collar for the dress and their assembly to the body.
Last but not the least is attaching the head to the body. And don’t forget to put Aurora’s eyes and mouth too for the finishing.
There you are! I am happy to have finished this pattern without much problem. I am very pleased to see she turned out like the way she is supposed to be. Still thinking if I will put the mouth, but I have made 2 sets of photo ops and you can be the judge to which is better. Below is a gallery of this cutie. I hope you enjoy them!
If you have any inquiries, questions, or just want to say hi, you can reach me through my social medias. And please don’t forget to follow me on Instagram @koolitskee and Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for more of new updates and stuffs. Thank you again and see you on my next post!
If you found this article helpful, please do share, and you’ll make me smile forever! Thank you so much!